When you have dropped the ink of your ballpoint pen on your carpet, you can remove it easily in a few steps. You should remove the ink as quickly as possible, or the carpet color can get discolored after the process is over. In fact the methods used to remove the ballpoint ink are removing the ink color, so it could also affect the color of the fibers of your carpet. So before removing any kind of stain from the carpet it is always better to first test the process on a small portion of the carpet. The steps of how to remove ballpoint ink from carpet are provided for you below.
Things Needed to Remove Ballpoint Pen Ink from the Carpet
- A stain remover for carpets
- Alcohol for rubbing
- Soft cloth
- Shampoo for carpets, optional
How to Remove Ballpoint Ink From Carpet
- First of all, you should start with applying stain remover on the carpet. It is easier to remove the ink of ballpoint pen from a carpet as its fibers cannot absorb this ink as easily as they absorb other types of inks. Most of the time it can be lifted only by using stain remover.
- Use a clean cloth to blot the area on which you have applied stain remover. If you use a dirty cloth with ink already on it, the ink on the cloth could transfer to the carpet and stain the carpet even more.
- You can apply the stain remover repeatedly unless the cloth stops catch any ink from the carpet.
- Now test the rubbing alcohol on a hidden area of the carpet before applying it on the stained portion
- After a few minutes, you can blot the area on which rubbing alcohol was tested with a clean cloth. You should check the cloth used for blotting the spot if any of the carpet’s color has transferred to it, or wait for few hours to observe any change in color of the carpet.
- It will be safe to continue the process if the color of your carpet is not transferring.
- Now you can pour rubbing alcohol on the clean cloth to moisten it. You can also use a cotton swab to rub accurately if there is only a line of ballpoint pen ink or the spot is very small.
- Now blot the ink stain with the cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol
- Repeat the process until the stain is removed completely.
- You can also use carpet shampoo to rinse the carpet and blot it with clean water, but it is not necessary.
You can also remove the stain of ink from the carpet by using hairspray. You can spray it on the carpet and blot it with a piece of clean cloth. The information provided in this article shows how to remove ballpoint ink from carpet. Don’t forget to protect your carpet coloring so it doesn’t transfer when you remove the ink. No matter if you are targeting specific stains, or would like to clean your carpet in general, the pros at Cosmopolitan Carpet & Rug Cleaning know how to properly clean your carpet.